Sign up for Mount Kilimanjaro trek in aid of Northern Ireland family

770
ELECTRICAL CHARITY FB_IMG_1458210311363 NEW
The late Christopher Hendrie and his family. The Mt Kilimanjaro trek is to raise money for his family and research into the rare cancer that killed him.

The charity is aiming to raise £100,000 by February 2017 – its largest fundraising challenge. This money will help the family of Christopher Hendrie who died from the rare bile duct cancer, cholangiocarcinoma.

The life of Christopher and his family changed in just 10 days in August – from finding out that his wife was expecting their third child to being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

Christopher was a well-respected electrician who was harnessing his experience with some of the UK’s largest construction companies to do great work on the Cross City Rail project. He was diligent, with a good attention to detail and always went above and beyond to ensure schedules remained on track. Christopher was the kind of person any of us would be happy to have as a colleague on a complex undertaking.

On August 25, 2014, Christopher and his wife found out they were expecting their third child. But on August 28, 2014, he fell sick with a mystery illness. On September 5, 2014, Christopher was diagnosed with an extremely rare form of cancer, cholangiocarcinoma. Nine weeks later, on October 31, 2014, Christopher passed way in the Mater Hospital, Belfast, following nine weeks of radiation and chemotherapy, with his wife by his side. He was 32-years-old.

Cholangiocarcinoma is rare, with around 1,000 new cases each year in the UK. It is almost always a type of cancer called adenocarcinoma, which starts in the lining of the bile duct. Although bile duct cancers can occur in younger people, more than two-out-of-three occur in people over 65.

Due to his existing genetic autoimmune disease, Christopher wasn’t eligible for life insurance. For his family the repercussions of Christopher’s loss confront them on a daily basis.

To help lift this heavy burden, many industry representatives, his friends, team-mates and family have been joining together to cover the expensive costs associated with the loss of a loved one.

Nearly half of us will be diagnosed with cancer in our lifetime, and for most it will be our toughest fight. The goal of their fundraiser is to raise £100,000 – 10% of the funds will go to Cancer Research UK and the remaining 90% to the Hendrie family.

By joining this incredible adventure, you’ll raise funds to ensure the young family get the financial assistance they need and critical funding go into the research we need to find a cure.

CLIMB DETAILS

Climb date: February 4-13, 2017. These dates will mean that the night the team pushes for the summit will be a full-moon, illuminating the glaciers and lighting the path.

Fundraising goal: £5,000 per person. This includes travel cost, accommodation in  twin-share room in three-star hotels and comfortable camping, and all costs associated with the climb.

Minimum age: 16-years-old (when accompanied by a parent or guardian)

To participate contact Tessa Ogle on 020 3696 1710 or e-mail [email protected]